Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Memories of the Lodhi Garden- 1984


After the 1984 riots, things settled down to a somewhat 'normal' routine. Surprisingly enough life fell into a set of manageable tasks. Rajiv Gandhi took leadership and the country limped forward. My personal life also went back to the day to day activities I was used to. One of my favorite places to visit was the Lodhi Gardens. Beautiful gardens fit for Kings or more appropriately, lovers.

How can I describe sitting on a bench facing the Sheesh Gumbad? The warm breeze lightly touching my cheek. The rustle of the wind in the trees. Closing my eyes, I can almost see mourners from the Lodhi dynasty coming to pay their last respects. Instinctively, I walk towards the building, as if trailing the imaginary path of the well wishers. When I peek into the inner parts of the mysterious structure my imagination is rudely interrupted. Other visitors clamber around inside the building reminding me this is not the 1500's but the 1980's. I'll come back another day maybe with a lover and we will explore the building together. Although time stands still in the Lodhi Gardens, it does not stand still for my life in New Delhi. I always had things to do and places to go.

4 comments:

  1. lodhi gardens is a magical , spiritual and healing place for me...so i can understand your feelings...i have experienced so many emotions in different seasons in this garden......it has a special place in my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ shooting star- sorry for not knowing how to answer comments previously :) I've since become a more avid blogger and know about this aspect of blogging :)...I know this is late- but I figure, better late than never ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have not visited this place, and I can feel it. Thanks to this post! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love this place- or at least, if it is what I remember it to be :)- it was one of my favorite places to spend an afternoon.

      Delete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...