Thursday, October 16, 2008

weddings - Japan 1995

The first wedding I went to in the United States was when I was almost 19. I thought I was at a funeral. It was so quiet. I looked around and wondered why everyone was so somber; afterall, wasn't this a joyous event?

Weddings in Singapore were quite the occasion. It didn't matter which cultural group was celebrating their wedding, there was always lots of
color, music, and people. I grew up with weddings being wonderful, fun occasions.

Going t
o Japan, I was curious as to how their weddings were going to be. I found some to be quiet, serious occasions but also there were lively weddings. Since our church was a multicultural church we enjoyed all sorts of weddings. Filipino weddings- boy was the food good! Ghanaian weddings- can we say PARTY! Japanese weddings- a touch of class. Chinese weddings- traditional tea ceremony included.

I think
my favorite memory about the weddings- no matter who was involved- was the way everyone joined together to make it the best day of the bride and groom's life! Everyone came out to decorate the hall. There were those who volunteered to cook the food. Others were ready to be an usher or to serve the food. Everyone did the part creating a wonderful day for all.

With all the
countries I've traveled to, Japan included, I realize 'love' is a universal language spoken by everyone. Seeing love showcased in a wedding can be a very beautiful thing. Whether it is demonstrated in a quiet manner or in a loud manner, love shines magnificently for all to see.

8 comments:

  1. "Whether it is demonstrated in a quiet manner or in a loud manner, love shines magnificently for all to see."

    Oh yes Connie u r absolutely right as always:-)

    Indian weddings are very lively, noisy & so full of traditional customs. Have u attended any?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - what do they say about 'better late than never'? ha ha-I'm only now seeing this comment from you written about 3 and a half years ago! oh my! :)

      Yes I've attended Indian weddings and I do so love them!!

      Delete
  2. indian weddings are one of the most liveliest boisterous and really royal.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star- as I said to Nancy- better late than never, right? ha ha- yes Indian weddings are very wonderful. When I was in Delhi I attended one in which the groom came on a horse- it was ROYAL to be sure!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I realize 'love' is a universal language spoken by everyone. Seeing love showcased in a wedding can be a very beautiful thing.
    nice post!!! Indian weddings rock :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preeti- oh my, I'm sorry that I'm late to answer your comment- Yes Indian weddings do rock! :)

      Delete
  4. True, love is really the universal language.

    You have to come to an Indian wedding! Have you yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny- yes, I've attended a few Indian weddings and I did so love them!!

      Delete

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...