Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Another Suitcase

So what happens now?
Another suitcase in another hall
So what happens now?
Take your picture off another wall
Where am I going to?
You'll get by you always have before
Where am I going to?

The lyrics from Evita and the song "Another suitcase and another hall"-- just made me think of how many suitcases I've had to pack...how many pictures I've taken off the wall...and how no matter where I end up going, I always end up getting by.

I heard this song last year when Katrina was in a musical. She was getting ready to travel to New Zealand and the song made me think of her leaving. I realized she would be following in my footsteps of moving around a lot.

When I first heard the song, I cried. The tears were not sad tears, necessarily. They symbolized the bittersweet feeling every mother must feel when their children have matured enough to take off on their own. A balancing act of emotions which continues all through life.

So there will be more pictures I will take off the wall...There will be suitcases I have to pack and unpack. I've passed this legacy down to my children. They are often more comfortable in an airport or on an airplane than in someone's living room.  There will be pictures Katrina and her siblings will take off their walls...they will pack and unpack many suitcases...and no matter where they go, I know they will be okay because the One who loves them more than I do has them in His care!! What a wonderful assurance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...