Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sisters

The quote, "A sister by birth, a friend by choice" seems to fit well with my sisters. Although we don't live near each other, I feel like anytime we talk or get together we are truly friends. There is such a big age difference between us; however, we still are able to relate on many levels. 

My eldest sister, Debbie, will arrive tonight. I want everything to be special for her. I want to pamper her. She who always seems to be responsible for everyone else. She who was almost like a 'second mom' to me when I was growing up. I want to make things fun for her when she is here. Every time I think of scheduling a 'fun' activity, it just seems to defeat the very idea of 'having fun' because shouldn't fun be spontaneous and just happen? I guess I can set things up in the direction of fun and then see where it goes from there.

A few days later, my sister Pam will arrive. If Deb is the rock which never moves or can be moved, Pam is the volcano which could erupt at any moment. Life spewing out on all sides. Hot passion and spontaneous action flowing in many directions. With Pam, there will be no need to 'plan' fun; it will just happen. 

I'm the youngest of the three. Although creeping up on 50, I suspect they still think of me as their 'baby sister.' I guess they will always be my elder sisters and I will always be the youngest. There is no way of changing the order of things no matter how old I get. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter how old we have become or who is older, what matters is that we love each other. We laugh, we fight, we cry, but above all we love! Yes, indeed, sisters by birth, but definitely friends by choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And time marches on

 Time doesn't wait for any person. One minute you are in 2018 and the next thing you know, 6 years have passed and you are in 2024! Of c...