Monday, May 24, 2010

Group Blogathon Post

Today it was suggested we do a group post for the blogathon. It was suggested we all do a haiku. I've chosen to do a couple of poems, but not a haiku- One poem is a Tanka,. it follows a 5-7-5-7-7-  The other one is a Senryu-which is structurally similar  to the Haiku  with a 5-7-5. A senryu is most often based on human nature and can be ironic in tone; whereas, the Haiku is based on nature.* So the first one is a Tanka-

Tropical Rainstorm

white sprawling porches
tropical rain pounding down
washing the dry ground
watery sunlight peeks through
sweet scent of rain lingering

...the second one is a Senryu


The Battle 

darkness creeps forward
sleep waits in silent ambush
the battle is lost

*I clarified the Haiku and Senryu differences as a result of a comment by Nisha- which made me realize I was not being clear in the distinction. Thank you Nisha!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I thought 5-7-5 based on nature is Haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nisha- exactly correct- Haiku is normally based on nature with a 5-7-5 but the Senryu is usually 'human nature' (as opposed to nature) and is also a 5-7-5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are lovely poems. Thanks for the poetry lessons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them both too. Especially, the haiku, as I'm partial to losing that battle as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely, and thanks for the explanation of the different poetic forms you used.

    Michelle Rafter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bike Lady- thank you for the kind comment- sorry for the elongated lesson which accompanied the post :) I guess that is the teacher in me peeking through

    Kathy- I also love the Battle one-sleep always seems to get the better of me. :)

    Michelle- THANK YOU! If not for you- none of this would be happening...the every day posting...it was a nice reprieve to be able to do the poetry today- it has been great reading every one else's haikus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were great. I like that you tackled different forms, and I really liked the one about sleep. Based on the title, I didn't know what to expect. It was fun to be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joan- I wrote the title after I wrote the actual poem - just seemed appropriate- and it appears I'm going to be losing another battle in a couple of minutes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i like :)

    i came across this info somewhere - that u wrote a book. is it? whats it called? would love to pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. limenlemons- thanks!

    Now who is going around telling stories? :)

    If you would like the book I can actually mail it to you- or you can order it via amazon.com or barnes and Noble- write to me at desertstar@writing.com and I will give you the details.

    ReplyDelete

....And then there were more...

We started with two. It didn't take long for us to add three more to the mix, making us ongfamily5 for quite a long time. Before we kn...